Frequent Launch Sites
CTBA Club Flights, and many individual adventures, often begin at one of a few customary launch sites. These sites have adequate space for safe operation, and usual wind patterns lead to areas with suitable landing sites. The Google link below shows red zones (areas where balloons should not land or launch for one reason or another) and green zones where it is okay to land or launch.
Old Settlers Association is on Highway 79, three miles east of IH-35.
This small launch field is on the west side of the entrance to Dell Diamond. See map below.
Behind Graham Elementary School
Zilker Park - occasional meeting place for balloon demonstrations
Want to fly from an Austin park?
Per Austin Parks and Recreation, the requirements for a balloon to launch or land in an Austin park are as follows:
• A $60 rental fee is required, regardless of whether the flight is with paying passengers or for sport
• Confirmation that this is either a commercial or private flight. Commercial flights require a commercial pilot’s license. Provide valid pilot license.
• Coordination of time, place and manner so as NOT to interfere with regular reservations
- this includes date, specific location, impact to grounds by equipment
- discussion of tethering plan (balloons)
- 974-6797 Parks Reservations
8:30 am – 4:30 pm daily, Monday through Friday – excluding holidays
• List City of Austin as additional insured with a minimum bodily injury and property damage per occurrence limit of $500,000; waiver of Transfer Right of Recovery Against Others in favor of the City of Austin